debbie millman

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Welcome to Ruminations 2.0

It started as a lark, really. And as a solo blogger, I started rather late. But in my extraordinary experience on my beloved Speak Up, I realized that I also wanted a separate place, "a room of my own" of sorts to play around a bit, to exercise some ill-used writing skils, even something as simple as compiling an archive of my Design Matters monologues. A bit over a year later, there are 80 posts, over 2400 links (according to Technorati), many wonderful new friends, and as of today, not only an archive of all of my Design Matters monologues, but also a link to my personal favorite episodes of all three seasons of the show.

Sometimes you try and try and try to make things happen, and no matter how hard you try, it never "feels" right, or clicks in the way that you expected, or, more tragically, it never fulfills the promise of what you hoped and dreamed and imagined. This experience has been the opposite. I started this blog as an informal and illogical experiment and it has turned into a true labor of love. So today, July 26th 2006, please let me introduce you to Ruminations 2.0, my redesigned, reorganized and reimagined little blog.

I want to thank three people who worked tirelessly and enthusiastically throughout the process of moving type around, endless kerning, and putting up with my constantly saying, "I don't know, what you do you think?" -- the brilliant and lovely Sam Zimmerman of Mojo Jelly Media, the gorgeous and ever-so-patient Gregory O'Connor and the stealth but powerful Yoshi Sodeoka. I also want to thank Armin Vit for the design of my original home page, which I have gratefully kept as is. One can't really mess with the master. Thank you all so much for being so wonderful. And I mean all of you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie it looks great! Black and white are such great colours; they show off your artwork nicely, and i like the quirky handwritten headings too.

My only *constructive* criticism is something to put some more weight on the left hand side: a thicker border? A thicker line at the top or the left hand side? Slightly larger heading? Just something to anchor my attention over there.

And yay for the Design Matters links!

7/26/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much improved. I too dig the design matters links, thanks for those.

7/29/2006 11:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

things i paint
things i photograph
design matters design matters poster designed by Firebelly
about me things i do those i thank things i like current playlist