debbie millman

Monday, April 25, 2005

Poem: Maybe

it was in the supermarket that I finally knew for sure.
felt my head acknowledge what I was testing in my heart for weeks now.

really

knowing something is so foreign to me and as I stared at the chocolate chip cookies
and the biscuits with the pretty raspberry circles in the center
and the fluorescent orange laundry detergent bottles
and the heartbreaking little birthday candles…1, 2, 3…
I thought to myself this feeling

this feeling
thing. well. yes, no, maybe
it is not always a terrible thing.

maybe there is beauty in feeling scared:
like there is this perverse chance that the balloon will not fly away if you let it out of your
fiercely clenched fist.

or maybe, if it does and you follow it to someplace new,
maybe exotic; with different smells and words and
different hands
strong hands

your heart begins to change

I do not know how or why things happen.
for now, all I know is this:
when.

2 Comments:

Blogger guest said...

Cool story, Debbie =))

4/25/2005 08:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem Debbie ... i actually meant to click on your archives for the Imogen Heap blog in April 2008 and clicked on April 2005 instead ... i am glad i did.

my most favourite part is about what if we do let go the balloon.

Thank you

Stephanie

4/29/2008 09:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

things i paint
things i photograph
design matters design matters poster designed by Firebelly
about me things i do those i thank things i like current playlist